Friday, February 6, 2015

Hearst Castle - Hopscotch

Here is another layout I did using pictures from our recent trip to California. 

We drove from Monterey down HWY 1 for a great coastal view and stopped in San Simeon to do a tour of the Hearst Castle. The tour starts out with a 17 mile bus trip up the mountain to the castle. The views from the top are so beautiful. We had perfect weather for our visit to such a beautiful place.

Everything is grand at the Hearst Castle. The amount of art in this castle is amazing. The walls are covered in beautiful tapestries from the 1800's, statues inside and outside and all over the grounds, even the ceilings have wood carvings covering them. Everywhere you look there is a piece of history.

Of course I took a ton of pictures and had a hard time figuring out which ones to not use.  Even when I use flip flaps I can't use all of my great photos.  Below shows the left side of my layout with a 12X4 flip flap opened to the far left as well as a 12X8 flap opened to the right.
We really enjoyed our stop at the Hearst Castle. After our tour of the Grande Rooms we were free to roam the grounds outside the castle. There are 2 large guests amongst the grounds along with statues everywhere. Steve was really disappointed to see that the Roman Pool was empty, due to the drought in California. You can still see how big it is and how wonderful it would be to take a dip! 
On the right side of my layout I used the plastic sleeve inserts from the Holiday Happenings Crush book to create a double flip flap below. I was able to add 10 photos from our tour of the Hearst Castle. You can see that I used Gold Polka Dot washi tape to make my flip flap book. I also used some of the Hopscotch Picture My Life inserts along with my photos.

It certainly was a beautiful day for our tour. The skies were clear and blue. I can see why Hearst picked this location to build his castle. Below is the right page.

We took the Grande Rooms Tour, which highlights the Assembly Room (Living Room for us regular folk) Refectory Room (where you hang out after dinner), Billard Room, Theater, Dinning Hall, Gardens, Neptune Pool and Roman Pool, yeah 2 pools. The Neptune Pool even has gold mosaic tiles. Hayley was impressed with that herself. Supposedly Clark Gable liked to have rendezvous with the ladies at the Neptune pool.

The history of this beautiful castle is amazing. Well worth the stop. Ironically one of her teachers was talking about it in class and Hayley was able to talk about it. Her teacher was surprised that she knew so much.

Products used to create my layout are all CTMH:
Hopscotch Worshop on the Go


Hopscotch Assortment
Hopscotch Complements
Flaxen Twine
Gold Sequins
White Shimmer Trim - I used my Shin Shan marker to color it blue to match my layout - under my chevron punched border on the left side of my layout
Gold Polka Dot Washi Tape

Please contact me if you have any questions. I will be glad to answer them.

Feel free to leave a comment below.

Till next time,

Lori
Your Scrapbooking Coach!


No comments:

Post a Comment